Thursday, June 01, 2006

THE BENCHWARMERS MOVIE REVIEW


THE BENCHWARMERS
Today happens to be a very special day indeed. The 2nd of June marks my best friend's birthday, my one and only brother, Abhishek. More than three thousand miles away from home, a personalized e-card seems to be the best option for a birthday gift. But this time I wanted it to be a little different, so I chose to review a movie for him instead. Picking the movie was easy as the first movie that came to my mind was The Benchwarmers . Why? Because he had seen the movie seventeen times before I had even seen it once and he took it upon himself to force me to watch it (and he had also asked me to review the movie for him :D). Carefully I scrutinized every frame of the movie and soon after I had finished watching it I realized I had commited my first mistake. This movie wasnt meant to be taken seriously in the first place. Now I realize why my brother liked it so much. Unlike me, he is someone who does what he is supposed to do, (studying, programming) while a movie constantly runs in the background. So what is more suited for him than a movie that just serves his purpose.

According to imdb.com, the plot revolves around three guys Gus (Rob Schneider), Richie (David Spade), Clark (Jon Heder) who try and make up for missed opportunities in childhood by forming a three-player baseball team to compete against standard little league squads. Taking a stand, these former Benchwarmers, form a little league Baseball league with the same name. Looking back into my school days I realized that I could actually relate with the emotions driving the characters. Always staying ahead of the class when it comes to waist size, I eventually had the slowest reflexes in my state. Repercussions ensued and I found myself a benchwarmer pretty soon. Maybe a reason why I took to gaming and movies. Just a thought! Just a thought! Times have changed and I am probably way more active than what I was then but memories of that school bench still lingers. So I wholeheartedly support the movie not for it's humor or its plotline but for the message that it spreads - hope. In short terms, the film supports a plot oh so plain but carries a message oh so sweet.

All the immature fart and pee jokes aside, there are certain aspects of the movie that can certainly be appreciated. Never did I realize that Rob Schneider could act. His role is pivotal for the plain fact that he is only one who can play Baseball out of the three. David Spade, my favorite llama in hollywood (The Emperor's new groove), is his usual irritable self. But his quirkiness actually comes in handy for the humor throughout the movie. (Until I see some actual "acting" on screen I shall refrain myself from commenting about that Napolean dynamite guy.) The main cast surround themselves with equally eccentric characters like Mel (Jon Lovitz) and Howie (Nick Swardson). Mel, the nerdy millionaire who owns every geek dream car like the Knight rider and the 1966 Batmobile, is the emotional and financial support for the benchwarmers. Howie, Richie's Agoraphobic brother, is probably the most surprising character that one would encounter in a movie like this. Every other element of the movie offers nothing special that need to be jotted down. It's just your basic run of the mill, predictable Happy Madison movie. Watch it in theatre? Nah. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the movie in the comfort of your home on DVD. You will like it a lot better then. The movie ends with the lines "This was a complete waste of time. Wasn't it?". There would be a lot of critics out there who would agree with those lines but not me.

So here it is Abhishek, a lame, yet personal bithday gift (for now!) from one benchwarmer to another. - {BATMAN^V^EXILED}
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Movie Links


  • The Benchwarmers Official Page

  • The Benchwarmers IMDB Page

  • The Benchwarmers Trailer


  • 2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'd say Benchwarmers is a better movie than Batman Begins, The DaVinci Code, X-Men 3 and The Emperor's New Groove, all 4 movies out together .... GO BENCHWARMERS .... for "The force is powerful, my young paduan"

    1:39 PM  
    Blogger Tomas Creo said...

    lol.. everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But this is probably stretching it a little too far.

    1:57 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home